- Hans Köchler and Jason Subler (eds), The Lockerbie Trial. Documents Related to the IPO Observer Mission
A commentary on the case of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, convicted of the murder of 270 people in the Pan Am 103 disaster.
Thursday, 29 June 2017
Irreparable damage to the rule of law in Scotland
Monday, 4 July 2016
Lockerbie case: Call for independent investigation
- IPO news release of 25 April 2002 (Call for public inquiry)
- Dr Hans Köchler's statement on the referral of the case of Abdelbaset Ali Mohamed Al Megrahi to the High Court of Justiciary
Monday, 29 June 2015
Flawed trial and appeal proceedings
Sunday, 15 June 2008
Lockerbie bomber hearing 'flawed'
'The UN’s observer in the trial that convicted a Libyan of the atrocity criticises the process of his appeal
The UN observer at the Lockerbie trial, Hans Köchler, has said that the Libyan convicted of the bombing will not get a fair hearing in Scotland.
Köchler, who advises the European Commission on democracy and human rights, has condemned government interference in the appeal of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi and said the hearing should be held in a neutral country.
His intervention follows an attempt by the British government to block the release of secret papers that could help clear the former Libyan intelligence agent convicted of the 1988 bombing, which claimed 270 lives.
Köchler said Megrahi’s case was handled “more like an intelligence operation than a genuine undertaking of criminal justice” and criticised MSPs for failing to hold inquiries into the downing of Pan Am 103 and its judicial aftermath. “It is almost trivial to say that a fair trial requires the availability of evidence to the prosecution and defence. Only in a totalitarian system would the executive power interfere in court proceedings and order the withholding of evidence.”
The Advocate General, on behalf of British ministers, had objected to disclosure of the documents to Megrahi’s legal team, lodging a public interest immunity plea.
Last month senior judges ordered that the papers should be released to the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh, where a panel of three judges will decide in camera whether they should be disclosed.
The documents, which are believed to hold information about the electronic timer that detonated the bomb, were not disclosed to the defence during al-Megrahi’s trial at Camp Zeist in the Netherlands. Megrahi lost an appeal in 2002, but the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission concluded that he might have been the victim of a miscarriage of justice and referred his case back to the court last year. One of the grounds for referral is believed to be the prosecution’s failure to disclose the secret document to Megrahi’s lawyers.
Köchler said the decision to hear the appeal in Scotland breached a concordat between the UK, the US and the Netherlands. “The fact that the new appeal proceedings take place in Scotland is not in conformity with the original intergovernmental agreement on the Lockerbie trial.” The proceedings totally lacked “transparency”, he said.
Last week, Robert Black, the Edinburgh law professor who helped to arrange Megrahi’s original trial in the Netherlands said the intergovernmental agreement no longer applied. It “existed for the original trial and the appeal. This is now the second appeal.” The agreement was spent, he said.
“Scotland made a mess of the trial and the appeal, and to an outside observer, that might lend justification to Köchler’s view. But I believe that this time it will be done properly and Megrahi will be released.”
Last year, Köchler said Scotland had the reputation of a “banana republic” because of its handling of the case.'
Scotland on Sunday runs a story along the same lines. It contains the following quote from doughty Lockerbie campaigner, Tam Dalyell:
"Hans Köchler is a good man and he is absolutely right with his criticisms. The behaviour of the Crown in this case has been disgusting and a disgrace to Scotland. I personally feel very responsible because I was one of those, along with others, who helped persuade the Libyans to hand over one of their nationals for trial."
Scotland on Sunday states that Professor Köchler's views were expressed in a letter written to The Firm. The letter was in fact written to Robbie the Pict who, with Köchler's permission, passed it to the magazine.
Saturday, 21 December 2013
The case didn't follow the rule of law, says Hans Köchler
CIA held Syrian militants responsible for Lockerbie bombing in The Telegraph;
Die Zweifel von Lockerbie in Die Welt;
‘Hans Köchler goes a step further in his assessment of the incident. The Austrian philosopher was sent to The Hague in 2000 by the UN Secretary-General to observe the Lockerbie trial. He was present when Scottish judges acquitted a Libyan intelligence officer and sentenced the other accused suspect, Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, to life imprisonment." From what I know and have seen," says Köchler, "this is a miscarriage of justice." (...)
‘There is only speculation about the real masterminds behind the Lockerbie bombing. Iran is always named, as well as the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), which was involved in many attacks at the time. But the evidence is contradictory, and 25 years after Lockerbie, there is apparently no one who wants to know the truth. (...)
‘Former observer Hans Köchler is one of those demanding the case be reopened. "It's necessary in order to restore confidence in government and the judiciary," says Köchler, "since many in Scotland are convinced that the case didn't follow the rule of law."’
Finally, here is a link to a bonkers piece by Alan Cochrane in The Telegraph in which he argues that the Scottish Government should apologise for the compassionate release of Megrahi because the medical advice that they, quite properly, followed turned out to be inaccurate; and a link to a typically ill-informed and blinkered article in The Times by that well-known Dr Pangloss of the Lockerbie case, Magnus Linklater.
Wednesday, 5 August 2026
Netflix "The Bombing of Pan Am 103": Incomplete, one-sided portrayal
[What follows is excerpted from an article by Patrick Huber published today on the Austrian Wings website:]
In a six-part miniseries, the US film giant Netflix dramatized the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 on December 21, 1988. Despite its high level of detail, the series ultimately disappoints with a one-sided portrayal of the perpetrators, a perspective that is objectively untenable, argues Patrick Huber, a long-time contributor to Austrian Wings, in his recent commentary. Huber has been researching the topic for over 20 years and published the first German-language book on the subject in December 2023, titled Pan Am Flight 103: The Tragedy of Lockerbie - A Christmas Journey to Death.
The facts of the Lockerbie disaster (Pan Am Flight 103) in brief. A bomb exploded in the cargo hold of Pan Am's Boeing 747-121, N739PA, Clipper Maid of the Seas, which was scheduled to fly as PA 103 from London Heathrow to New York JFK on December 21, 1988. The aircraft broke apart in mid-air and crashed into the Scottish town of Lockerbie. The 243 passengers, 2 pilots (captain and first officer), 1 flight engineer, and 13 flight attendants on board the Pan Am jumbo jet died, as did 11 residents of the Lockerbie community. Many children were among the victims; entire families were wiped out.
The question of who was responsible for the bomb was never definitively answered. A trial under Scottish law in the Netherlands in 2001 led to the conviction of a suspected Libyan secret agent – a verdict that remains highly controversial in expert circles. However, experts (including legal scholars and UN trial observer Professor Hans Köchler, whose reports can be found here ) and many relatives of the victims considered it a miscarriage of justice and are convinced of the alleged perpetrator's innocence. Professor Köchler, who contacted me by email on August 6. 2026, after the publication of this commentary, pointed out that he had always consideredEl-Megrahi "not guilty as charged."
Professor Köchler literally wrote in a statement dated August 23, 2003 that can be read online here: "It is highly likely that the convicted Libyan national is not guilty as charged and that one or more countries other than Libya, through their intelligence services and/or financial and logistical support for a terrorist group, may have responsibility for the crime. In this regard, last year's revelations by Atef Abu Baker of the Fateh Revolutionary Council (made public after the assassination of Abu Nidal in Baghdad) will have to be further investigated. Since the events of September 11, 2001, there is absolutely no excuse for not fully investigating the responsibility for the Lockerbie crime. Terrorism cannot be fought through a political deal aimed at covering up the truth, but must be eradicated through identification and punishment of all countries, individuals and organizations that may have had responsibility for a specific terrorist act."
I also recommend my commentary from October 2025, "Commentary on the Lockerbie Bombing - Who Bombed Pan Am Flight 103?" . Two years earlier, shortly before the 35th anniversary of the disaster, my book Pan Am Flight 103: The Lockerbie Tragedy - A Christmas Journey to Death, published after years of research , examines the attack and all open and already resolved questions in minute detail. (...)
When I heard about the new six-part Netflix series The Bombing of Pan Am 103, I decided to watch it. After decades of studying this tragedy, I was eager to see it. It's not a documentary, of course, and some elements have been altered for dramatic effect, but it's fundamentally very well-researched. Even little-known facts are addressed, and the seat numbers of individual passengers are accurately depicted.
While the first five parts are consistently worth watching, the final part is a huge disappointment and ruins everything. It deals with the trial of the two Libyan defendants, which ultimately ended with Abdel Bassit Ali Mohammed el Megrahi being convicted, while his co-defendant was acquitted.
The series concludes with this, usually leaving viewers with the (completely false) impression that the case is (largely) solved – but in reality, it is far from that. The series makes no mention whatsoever of the fact that not only (as mentioned at the beginning) numerous (primarily British) relatives of the victims doubt El-Megrahi's guilt, but also that both UN trial observer Hans Köchler and Scottish law professor Robert Black criticized the verdict as a "miscarriage of justice" that stigmatized an innocent man and deprived him of his freedom. In an interview with "The Scotsman" on November 1, 2005, Professor Black described El-Megrahi's conviction as "the most shameful miscarriage of justice in Scotland in 100 years."
The Netflix series instead adopts the decidedly "convenient" narrative for the US and UK of the convicted Libyan (lone) perpetrator and presents it to the viewer as "the whole truth." But it is, at best, only a part of the story, by no means the whole picture. A great deal is missing.
For although Libya's (and its intelligence agents') complicity in the attack on Pan Am 103 cannot be ruled out and is quite possible, there were and are leads pointing to Iran, more precisely the Islamic Republic of Iran (established in 1979), to Syria, and to the Palestinian territories of the Middle East. The evidence against Iran was particularly strong. However, the Netflix series largely ignores these facts, not even in the end credits. There are only a few tentative hints. To me, they seem like a tiresome "obligatory exercise" by the creators, along the lines of: check item, next scene.
From a legal standpoint, it doesn't have to depict everything (it's a series, not a documentary or academic work), but this one-sided portrayal, on the one hand, simply doesn't correspond to the known facts, and on the other hand, it's a slap in the face to the relatives of the 270 victims, who, after almost 40 years of uncertainty, finally deserve a definitive answer to the question of who was responsible for the deaths of their loved ones. A lone perpetrator—whether El-Megrahi or anyone else—could absolutely not have been responsible, as the UN trial observer clearly stated over 20 years ago. A single perpetrator could never have managed the incredible logistical effort of such a terrorist operation; even two or three perpetrators would have been insufficient. According to UN trial observer Köchler, at least "a dozen" participants would have been needed. It's quite possible that it was some kind of terrorist cooperation between Iran, Libya, Syria, and the Palestinians. It's also not out of the question that the convicted El-Megrahi might have been involved in some way. However, the evidence was simply insufficient for a conviction according to modern legal standards – and that's a crucial point. Because in a modern legal process, the principle of "in dubio pro reo" (presumption of innocence) must always apply. The evidence in El-Megrahi's conviction was extremely weak, leaving many questions unanswered. Or, to quote the UN trial observer, university professor Hans Köchler: "If someone had submitted this verdict as a seminar paper to me, it would have received a clear failing grade for inconsistency of argumentation." Ouch. That stings. (...)
Netflix also omits the fact that Dr Jim Swire (whose daughter Flora was killed in the attack on Pan Am 103) was also convinced of El-Megrahi's innocence, and that a friendship even developed between the two men. Dr. Swire doesn't appear at all (or only so briefly and insignificantly that I must have missed it), even though he made a crucial contribution to improving security measures in the aftermath of the disaster. (...)
If I had to grade the Netflix series "The Bombing of Pan Am 103" using the school grading system, my personal verdict would be, at best, a "Sufficient," and even that only because the first five episodes are solid and well-produced. If I were to evaluate only the sixth episode, my rating would be a clear "Fail."
For anyone interested in this complex case, I have two link recommendations here – in addition to my own book :
The Lockerbie Case (Blog by Professor Robert Black, Scotland)
The video documentary The Maltese Double Cross by American filmmaker Allan Francovich (d. 1997); public screenings of the film were heavily restricted by Great Britain and the USA, which is why it did not achieve widespread distribution; it has never been publicly shown in the USA.
Thus, every reader can form their own opinion on this matter and how they personally categorize the Netflix series The Bombing of Pan Am 103.