Friday 14 November 2008

Press release from Megrahi's lawyers

14th November 2008.

Mr Megrahi was today refused bail pending the hearing of his appeal by the High Court of Justicary.

He said:

“I am very distressed that the Court has refused to grant me bail and denied me the chance to spend my remaining time with my family.

I wish to reiterate that I had nothing whatsoever to do with the Lockerbie bombing and that the fight for justice will continue, regardless of whether I am alive to witness my name being cleared.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the many people of Scotland and elsewhere who have taken the time to send me cards and letters of support. Their kindness has touched me and helped me at this difficult time.

I ask that the privacy of my family is respected during this very difficult time.”

Notes for Editors

There is no appeal against the refusal of the application for bail pending the hearing of the appeal. The Court can consider a further application for review of the decision but there must be a change in circumstances to be placed before the Court before it can reconsider the matter.

The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission referred the case of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi back to the High Court of Justiciary on 28th June 2007. Grounds of Appeal were lodged on Mr Megrahi’s behalf on 21st December 2007. The Crown sought to restrict the scope of the Grounds of Appeal submitted on behalf of Mr Megrahi. They submitted that only those Grounds which had been referred back to the Court by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission could be heard. In their decision of 15th October 2008 the Court rejected the Crown’s argument and confirmed that Mr Megrahi was entitled to have his stated Grounds of Appeal decided by the Court on their respective merits.

A further hearing in the case has been assigned for 27th and 28th November 2008. At this hearing parties will discuss their proposals in relation to case management, as requested by the Court. Proposals in relation to the appointment of a Special Advocate/Counsel will also be discussed. This relates to the Public Interest Immunity plea taken by the Advocate General for Scotland in relation to a document relied upon by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission in their decision to refer. Mr Megrahi has sought disclosure of significant documents for the proper preparation and presentation of his appeal. This application is being opposed by the prosecution. Procedures to resolve this matter will also be discussed on 27th and 28th November 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment