It was ten years ago today that the judges of the Scottish Court at Camp Zeist delivered their verdict of Guilty against Abdelbaset al-Megrahi (and Not Guilty against Lamin Fhima) for the murder of 270 people in the bombing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie. The Opinion of the Court justifying the verdicts can be read here. In the version originally issued on 31 January 2001, in the very first sentence, their Lordships mis-stated the date of the disaster. This is symptomatic of the quality of the Opinion as a whole.
An article marking the anniversary appeared on page 8 of yesterday's edition of The Sunday Post but does not feature on the newspaper's vestigial website. Justice for Megrahi's secretary is quoted as follows:
"Justice for Megrahi secretary Robert Forrester admits their petition, still being considered by Holyrood's Public Petitions Committee, could run out of steam after the election.
"He said, 'This is far from the end of the story, though, as we have at least two contingency plans to take the matter further.'
"He said they were ready to go outwith Scotland to achieve their aim but he wouldn't give details.
"'If we have to, we will go to the next resort which will be very public and not Scottish.' he warned.
"'If it's successful, the Scottish authorities won't be able to say no -- they'll have to do what they're told.'
"He said the group was waiting to see what answers the Petitions Committee gets to questions it's preparing to ask after a second meeting with the campaigners last week."