Saturday, 2 March 2013

Lockerbie case is still open, Britain says

[This is the headline over a report in today’s edition of The Daily Telegraph, following on from the story in the newspaper yesterday headlined Libya minister says Lockerbie case is 'closed'.  Today’s report reads in part:]

Britain insisted that the investigation into the 1988 Lockerbie bombing remains open, after a Libyan minister told The Daily Telegraph that the government there regarded the inquiry as over.

On Friday this newspaper reported that British police were conducting inquiries in Libya for the first time in an attempt to restart the investigation into the 1988 bombing that brought down Pan Am flight 103 over Scotland, killing 270 people.

Last night the Foreign Office disclosed that members of the Lockerbie investigation team, including officers from Dumfries and Galloway Police, had in fact visited the north African state this week.

The Libyan justice minister, Salah al-Marghani, told the Telegraph the case had been "settled" with the former Gaddafi regime.

"I am trying to work on the current situation rather than dig into the past," he said.

In a statement Friday night, the Foreign Office said that it expected a follow-up to the investigation team's visit "very soon".

"The investigation into the Lockerbie case remains open and the Government continues to discuss cooperation on this case with the Libyan government," the statement said. (...)

One official said that the diplomats had sought permission to restart the Lockerbie investigation "from scratch". But these ambitions are likely to be frustrated by the lack of desire on the part of the Libyan authorities to reopen old wounds. (...)

Libya's government also faces pressure from its own people not to reopen the case. The payment of such a huge settlement at a time when many believed there was not conclusive evidence that Libya was responsible for the terrorist attack caused a public outpouring of anger.

The transfer of the financial settlement is one of the charges listed against at least two former regime officials who are now in jail accused of "wasting public funds".

"Even if the government did want to open it they would face opposition from the local people. There would be protests in the streets," said one official in the Libyan Supreme Court.

[A report in today’s edition of The Herald contains the following:]

Scottish police have secretly travelled to Libya with the FBI for talks with senior members of the country's government as part of their investigation into the Lockerbie bombing.

A four-person delegation from Dumfries and Galloway Police and the Crown Office, accompanied by an FBI delegation from Washington, had discussions with senior officials in Tripoli over the atrocity which claimed 270 lives on December 21, 1988. (...)

The news emerged a day after the Libyan Government said the Lockerbie case was closed. (...)

Libyan Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, is the only individual to have been convicted of the bombing. He died last year from cancer after being freed from prison to return to Tripoli on compassionate grounds.

Many of the families of the British victims are unconvinced of his guilt.

The architect of Megrahi's trial at Camp Zeist in 2000 warned the Libyan minister's comments could be a sign of growing tensions.

Robert Black, Emeritus Professor of Scots Law at Edinburgh University, said: "It could be a setback for everyone, whether you're convinced Megrahi is innocent or not."

A UK Government source added: "The investigation into the Lockerbie case remains open."

However, Dr Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora died in the atrocity, said: "I think the police are almost certainly wasting their time and public money by going to Tripoli.

"If they are going to cement the case against Megrahi, then it is a wild goose chase."

[A report in The Scotsman starts with the following two sentences:]

Scottish police, ­prosecutors and FBI investigators have ­arrived in Libya, it emerged last night. They landed hours after the country’s justice minister insisted that the matter was ­“settled” and it was wrong to dwell on the past.

[I believe that The Scotsman’s chronology is wrong.  The Scottish investigators met Libyan officials on 25 February, whereas the statements by the Libyan justice ministers about the case being closed were made (or, at least, were reported) on 28 February/1 March.]


  1. Your all in the wrong country. The answers to Pan am 103 lie in Syria and Iran. Not Libya. They also involve the characters of Irangate 2 and the massive flow of arms to Iran and Iraq supplied fro Eastern Europe and elsewhere. Drugs are a red herring largely. The Trail of the Octopus was only half the story, but largely correct as far as it went. Frankfurt is a miss direction. Look elsewhere for the route of the bomb. But it was the fifth radio that is correct. And the cloths did come from Malta that is correct. The timer is a red herring absolute rubbish from start to finish. Ignore it. If you want to know the truth follow the money. In particular the "counterfeit" super dollars. Oh and they did not come from Iran or North Korea but the did end up there.

    Just ask yourself this question. Why has Iran never been attacked? Clue start with the October surprise and the money found in the BCCI bank Paris in President Bushes name and follow the trail of counterfeit currency. Iran has been invulnerable for the last twenty years. Under two Bush presidencies. Just ask yourself why?

  2. So even after paying compensation and having their country destroyed, the Libyan’s face new demands to co-operate with the phoney criminal investigation, or else!

    And there is no respite in sight, because the phoney ‘live’ investigation will never end, because there was no bomb!

    To avoid this truth Washington refused to allow Westminster to hold a public enquiry.

    And that’s why Robin Cook told Parliament, “No public enquiry will be held whilst the criminal investigation remains live”?

  3. MISSION LOCKERBIE, 2013: doc. nr. 9109.rtf. (google translation german/english):

    The Truth is getting closer...

    Forget the statement of the temporary Libyan justice Minister Salah al-Marghani: "the Lockerbie case is 'closed and the matter was settled with the Gaddafi regime."
    It is a further distraction, because no incriminating evidence of participation in the "Pan Am 103 bombing", through the official Abdelbaset al-Megrahi and the ex Gadhafi regime can be presented.
    Already ex "Chairman" of (NTC of Libya) Mustafa Abdul Jalil, had boastfully promised, he can bring evidence against Gaddafi in the Lockerbie case - to day still nothing... !

    Reminder: to get support from NATO in the Libyan civil war, claimed Jalil in an interview with the Swedish newspaper "EXPRESSEN" (Feb. 24, 2011) "that he could bring evidence, that Gaddafi have orchestrated the 'Pan Am 103 bombing' - and he will present to the world at a later stage the evidence in the Lockerbie Case".

    It is interesting to note that Mr. Jalil today regrets at that time accepted the post as Minister of Justice in the Gaddafi Rregime, with the support of Saif el-Islam, have to.
    On the edge of Economic Forum 'WEF' in Davos (January, 2009) Jalil with Gaddafi's son, Saif el-Islam and Edwin Bollier (MEBO) was at a meeting in the House of Rothschild (Kloster) in the monastery below Davos.

    There, Jalil was showed the "forensic" proof of a sample of the timerfragment (PT/35) in the "Lockerbie-Affair" - professionally presented by me (Bollier).
    Jalil, at that time he was with full power on the side of Saif el-Islam and was excited and convinced that Abdelbaset al- Megrahi had nothing to do with the real 'Pan Am 103-bombing' - and that he clearly is a political prisoner...

    The evidence used at the court in Kamp van Zeist was of the flimsiest kind and some of the witnesses were clearly working for the American Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
    The $ 2.7 billion was paied, in compensation to the families of the victim, has not come from the ex Libyan government; it has been made by the private Gadhafi International Foundation For Charity Associations (GIFCA) of Saif El Islam (Geneva) - who want an end to sanctions imposed by the United Nation and the United States !

    by Edwin and Mahnaz Bollier, MEBO Ltd. Switzerland. URL: