[This is the headline over a report in today's edition of The Scotsman. It reads as follows:]
The new Libyan government may run its own investigation into the
Lockerbie bombing, once unseen documents emerge, the country’s interior
minister said yesterday.
The ousting of Muammar al-Gaddafi
has presented an opportunity to bring to light thousands of documents
lying in the coffers of the institutions of the former regime.
papers may contain evidence that could finally bring to justice those
responsible for the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, an
atrocity in which 270 people died.
Fawzi Abdul Aal, appointed to
the role of interior minister on Tuesday, said: “If there are new
documents on Lockerbie, we will start an internal investigation. It may
be possible to re-open the case and show the truth. My desire is to
show the truth.”
However, Mr Aal refused to commit to making any documentation public.
is a complicated issue … the decision of whether to reveal the
documents must come from the Cabinet,” he said. “This is an issue that
affects America and Britain, and Scotland, and the decision must come
from other powers, not just the ministry.”
There were conflicting
reports yesterday that Gaddafi’s intelligence chief Abdullah
al-Senussi, who is thought to have been behind the Lockerbie bombing,
had been captured.
The Libyan Transitional Council announced this week that rebel brigades had captured Senussi in southern Libya.
members of the local brigades cast doubt on the announcement. “We are
in the area where he is, we are searching house-to-house but he has not
yet been found,” said one fighter.
International Criminal Court prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said in
Tripoli yesterday he did not believe Senussi had been captured.
Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, thought to have been recruited by Senussi, was
jailed for the atrocity in 2001 but was released in 2009 on
compassionate grounds after being given three months to live. He is