Saturday, 24 April 2010

Lockerbie bomber's medical file 'should be made public'

[This is the headline over a report published yesterday on The Scotsman website. The following are excerpts. By far the most significant part is the last two paragraphs.]

The Scottish Government has faced fresh calls for the Lockerbie bomber's medical reports to be released.

Labour and the Tories both pressed justice secretary Kenny MacAskill on the matter, more than eight months after Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi was granted compassionate release. (...)

Yesterday, Labour's Lord Foulkes said there had been reports the bomber's health had improved to the extent that he was writing his autobiography.

The Lothians MSP raised the matter with Mr MacAskill in the Scottish Parliament, asking: "Does the cabinet secretary realise it is now eight months since he released al-Megrahi on the basis he had less than three months to live?

"And has he seen reports that al-Megrahi's health is improving, that he is working on his autobiography and he has welcomed over 30,000 visitors to his home?"

However, the justice secretary said: "In this country medical reports are private and confidential. That applies to people who have committed serious offences.

"These are not available to the Cabinet Secretary for Justice, to members of the press or indeed to political parties."

SNP MSP Christine Grahame raised the issue of a public inquiry into the Lockerbie bombing, saying the case for this was now "overwhelming".

Mr MacAskill said there were "still lingering questions that people feel need to be answered". He said the Scottish Government would "fully co-operate with any inquiry".

1 comment:

  1. It seems this guy Foulkes is kind of a dumb-ass? I'm not up on UK politics...