Wednesday, 28 September 2016

MSP slams Lockerbie investigations in Scotland

[This is a slightly modified version of the headline over a report published on the website of the Maltese newspaper The Times on 29 September 2010. It reads as follows:]

The Scottish [MSP] who has taken Air Malta’s side in the Lockerbie case has now described the investigations being carried out in Scotland as “little more than a device to avoid police disclosing a range of controversial material related to the case under Freedom of Information laws”.

In a statement, Christine Grahame said: “Correspondence I have received from the Chief Constable of Dumfries and Galloway Police has confirmed that only one full-time police officer is currently working on the case.

“The bombing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie in 1988 previously resulted in the biggest police investigation ever carried out in the UK and I think this revelation simply confirms that the “open” nature of the investigation is little more than a device to avoid the authorities disclosing additional uncomfortable facts which undermine the prosecution case.

“I wrote to Dumfries and Galloway Police back in August to determine what progress had been made in the investigation over the past 12 months, but they are unable to say if they have any new leads.

“I also asked the Chief Constable to confirm whether the Iranian backed Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command were no longer suspects in the case.

“I posed this question because the former Lord Advocate, Lord Fraser, recently told journalists that he was unhappy about the manner in which the police investigation failed to thoroughly pursue the links to the PFLP-GC.

“Lord Fraser implied it was reasonable to conclude that members of that terrorist organisation were in fact US intelligence assets and this was the reason that end of the investigation was not followed through and the suspects released before Scottish police investigators were able to interrogate them.

“Dumfries and Galloway Police have not been able to confirm or deny that the Iranian sponsored PFLP-GC remain suspects in this case.

“It is increasingly apparent that only a full and thorough public inquiry will address the outstanding concerns about the safety of the conviction and publicly reveal all the known facts related to this case, including the reasons why key suspects in the PFLP-GC were not properly investigated.

“The fact Dumfries and Galloway Police only have one full time officer working on the case poses some significant questions about how keen they are to pursue all avenues,” she said.

Malta has always denied any involvement in the act but a shop owner had said in the original trial that he believed Al Megrahi purchased clothes from his shop, providing the prosecution with grounds to argue that the bomb had left from Malta and then transferred to the fateful flight.

Malta had provided ample evidence to support its contention that there was no unaccompanied luggage on Air Malta flight KM180 on December 21, 1988. But its defence was trumped by Mr Gauci’s testimony.


  1. It is 29 September where I am now (Istanbul). That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

  2. Be careful you don't get kidnapped and held hostage Robert by CIA assets. I should think they would be glad to get rid of you.