[This is the headline over a report in today’s edition of The Scotsman. It reads in part:]
A deal signed by the Lord Advocate during a two-day visit to Libya has raised hopes more people will face justice for the Lockerbie bombing.
Frank Mulholland QC, who returned from the talks on Tuesday, described the meetings as “extremely positive”.
He said a “memorandum of understanding” had been signed which will see Libyan investigators work with those from the UK and US. (...)
Libya is the home country of the late Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the only person ever convicted of the atrocity, and the Crown Office believes Libya holds the key to uncovering who may have helped him.
Supporters of Megrahi, who are planning a new appeal against his conviction, believe the Crown Office is looking in the wrong place. However, they hope the investigations could help to clear his name.
Last month, The Scotsman revealed the Libyan attorney general had appointed two prosecutors to work on the Lockerbie investigation.
For the first time, they met Scottish and US investigators who are trying to establish whether there are other individuals in Libya who could be brought to trial for involvement in the attack.
Mr Mulholland said: “The meetings were extremely positive and there is a commitment on behalf of the Libyan authorities to work with both Scotland and the US to progress the investigation, within the parameters of the Libyan criminal procedure code, a mutual legal assistance treaty between the UK and Libya on criminal matters and a memorandum of understanding between the US and the Libyan ministry of justice.”
The Crown Office would not comment further on the memorandum of understanding or whether it would give them access to key individuals, such as Abdullah Senussi, Colonel Muammar al-Gaddafi’s brother-in-law and head of his intelligence services, and Megrahi’s immediate boss, who has been arrested and is currently held in Libya.
It is unclear how much evidence will have been retained following the uprising which led to the death of Gaddafi in October 2011.
Graeme Pearson MSP, a former detective, said: “I hope all concerned act in good faith in order that the families of those involved can have the peace of mind in knowing the full picture in regard to who was involved in this atrocity and why.
“Libya has come through some terrible times of late. It may therefore be difficult to obtain evidence that we can know is reliable and untainted.”
Robert Black QC, the architect of the Kamp van Zeist Lockerbie trial in the Netherlands, said: “I don’t think there’s any suggestion that, before the Gaddafi regime collapsed, they destroyed all of their records.”
Mr Black believes the investigations could help clear the name of Megrahi, who died from cancer in Libya last year, three years after being released from prison in Scotland on compassionate grounds.
Robert Forrester, secretary of the campaign group Justice for Megrahi, described the visit as a “complete waste of taxpayers’ money”.
He added: “It does seem the Crown is rather more interested in its own reputation than pursuing the interests of justice.”
[I would be astonished if material were uncovered in Libya that justified charges being brought against supposed “accomplices” of Abdelbaset Megrahi. I would not be particularly surprised if there were material there that supported his innocence. But I am less than confident that any such material would ever see the light of day, given the doleful history of prosecution non-disclosure of evidence in the Lockerbie case, as pointed out most tellingly by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission, four of whose six grounds for holding that there might have been a miscarriage of justice in the Megrahi case related to the Crown’s failure to disclose material that would have been of assistance to the defence.]