[This is the headline over an article published yesterday (Sunday) on the Daily Record/Sunday Mail website, following on from an item featured on this blog on Tuesday. The article reads as follows:]
The families of those who died in the bombing say they aren't interested in the cash as all they want is justice for the victims.
Their announcement comes after reports that Libya wanted to end the investigation into the 1988 disaster which killed 270 people amid fears that the country would have to pay out extra cash to relatives.
Scottish police officers and prosecutors travelled to Libya last month to probe the bombing.
Libyan Abdelbaset al Megrahi was the only person convicted of the terrorist attack but Scottish authorities believe others were involved.
He died last year, three years after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and freed from jail in Scotland on compassionate grounds.
US-based Victims of Pan Am Flight 103 have written to Ali Suleiman Aujali, Libya’s ambassador to the States, to insist they are not looking for fresh pay-outs.
The late Libyan dictator Colonel Gaddafi paid families more than $2billion 10 years ago, although his regime insisted it was a political move and continued to deny being behind the bombing.
Frank Duggan, president of the relatives’ group, told the ambassador that the families aren’t interested in cash.
He said: “Justice is all that our victims’ families seek and our efforts have never been about monetary compensation, which surely cannot replace lost lives.
“We hope that your new government can prosper as a democratic state with justice for all of your citizens.”
The Crown Office said they could not comment as the Lockerbie case is a live investigation.