Wednesday 20 October 2010

Personal statements from members of JFM Committee on importance of petition

[Scottish lawyers' magazine The Firm today publishes a long article, prepared by Justice for Megrahi's Robert Forrester, which includes statements from Ian Hamilton QC and from JFM committee members Jim Swire, Iain McKie and Robert Black. Mr McKie's statement reads as follows:]

The Police Officer

I have had some interesting discussions with family members and friends who understandably feel, not knowing the full background, that they cannot fault the Megrahi conviction. It is very hard for them to accept that cover-up and corruption might be integral to the police investigation and eventual conviction. Others suffer from ‘Lockerbie fatigue’ and feel that the cost of an inquiry with cutbacks in the offing is a step too far.

As an ex-police officer this has also been hard for me to cope with and it has taken years of enquiry, (and the suffering of my daughter Shirley Mckie), to satisfy myself that from beginning to end the whole affair was overshadowed by incompetence and political and other interests intent on ensuring that the truth was never known. My answer to the doubters is, I suppose, it is a question of how highly we value justice? For me one resolvable injustice is the mark of a country in decline. I continue to believe that if, as a society, we accept injustice on the Lockerbie scale then we had better all watch our backs.

My involvement with the JFM committee is driven by a need to know that the investigative and prosecution process that led our judges to their conclusion that Mr. Megrahi was guilty of destroying the lives of 270 victims and their families was right and just. No, the UK and American governments will not want this and will do everything but co-operate but I firmly believe that a Scottish based inquiry will satisfy my hopes and aspirations for our Scottish justice system.

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome contribution from mr. McKie. I've got it saved and will use it as a leading quote in the future.

    ReplyDelete