Saturday 29 August 2009

'My first dream was to clear my name, not just for me ... but for the victims' families'

[The following are excerpts from The Herald’s interview with Abdelbaset Megrahi, transcribed by me from the print edition of the newspaper.]

[One] priority is to complete an autobiography. “The outline is ready and most of the material is ready too,” he says. “It will be a history of my life. I will raise some of the new areas of evidence from the case. It will surprise so many people. It might be shocking to some people as well.

“I hope to be able to read this book before I die. I need people to read it – for them to be the jury in my case to see what judgment they make when they finish reading it. I don’t need their hearts. I need their brains to think properly and make the right decision about my case.” (…)

[C]oncern has been growing about how he and his case will be presented at the 40th anniversary celebrations on Tuesday of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s ascent to power. But Megrahi will be spending the day and those following it in hospital.

“I have met the three Libyan doctors and they have insisted that I go to hospital and so I need to go there on Sunday,” he explains between bouts of coughing. (…)

One of the most pressing questions in recent days has been why Megrahi dropped his appeal. Those who believe in his conviction have used his move as confirmation of his guilt. Others feared he had been forced to do so. He had hoped that by making an application under the prisoner transfer agreement – which meant he had to drop the appeal – and on compassionate release grounds, he would increase his chances of returning to Libya. If the authorities said no to one application, they might grant another. “I made two applications. I decided that I should go for both options rather than just having one chance.”

Megrahi explains he has always been desperate to clear his name and was determined to pursue the appeal, but that ultimately it was far too slow and his desire to see his family and country before he died finally tipped the decision.

“People have said there was pressure from the Libyan authorities or Scottish authorities, but it wasn’t anything like this. (…) I would have to have waited another two years for the appeal which I doubt I would have had time to live that long. I called my lawyer and asked him to drop the appeal because of my family. It is all about my family.” (…)

He is also deeply critical of the Court … proceedings, where a special advocate was appointed to represent him because of the confidential nature of many pieces of evidence. [RB: This is in the context of the UK Foreign Secretary’s assertion of public interest immunity in respect of intelligence documents from a foreign state that the SCCRC concluded should have been handed over to Megrahi as containing material that could have assisted in his defence.]

“I met the special advocate just one time and when I met him he said he doesn’t know anything about the documents and he said that he is not entitled to get in touch with me once he does know about it. Where is the justice in that? He is meant to represent my interests yet he cannot talk to me about a piece of crucial evidence. It could be of benefit to me and to the case, but they just say it is top secret and I am not entitled to see it or to see him again.”

Is he angry? “Anyone receiving a wrongful verdict is bound to be angry in prison. I was not at all angry with the Scottish people. Maybe I am lucky because the Scottish people are so friendly.

“I remember when Dr Swire visited me. The governor and staff were very kind and supportive and tried to understand what I was feeling and the stress. They tried to help me. Even the prisoners in my section tried to help.

“The only thing was coming from a completely different culture and having a different mentality sometimes. My family are so happy that I am back. It is good to be back for home-cooked food. My big boss – my wife – is a very good cook.”

[The full interview is now available online on the heraldscotland website.]

2 comments:

  1. MEBO MISSION:
    Announcement: All articles written in German language, are published shortly in professional English.

    The coming political "Lockerbie Disaster" in Scotland.
    The large chance for Mr. Megrahi is coming to be cleared up with a complete investigation in the Lockerbie-Conspiracy against Libya. The honour of Mr. Megrahi and the prestige of Libya must be repaired finally. Libya and its Official Mr. Megrahi have nothing to do with the Lockerbie- tragedy!

    Wieso hat sich 'Westminster' und die 'Scottish Justiciary', durch die Freilassung von Mr. Abdelbaset Al Megrahi, den voraussehbaren massiven Protesten der US Regierung ausgesetzt ?
    Es gibt nur eine Begründung: Weil kurz vor Ende des laufenden Appeal's absehbar war, dass es sich im "Lockerbie-Urteil" gegen Mr. Megrahi, in mehreren Punkten um ein grobfahrlässiges "Miscarriage of Justice" handelte und dadurch eigene Offizielle der Fälschung massgebender Beweise überführt worden wären! (Zusammenfassung: Verschwörung gegen Libyen)

    Der fortschreitende gefährliche Krankheitsverlauf von Mr. Megrahi wurde durch vorsätzliche Verzögerungen des Appeal-Verlaufs unterstützt, um Mr. Megrahi in eine psychische Notlage zu bringen, damit er das von Erfolg versprechende Appeal zurückzog !
    Nach diesen Plan hatte die 'Scottish Justiciary' den Status für eine Begnadigung mit Erfolg konstruiert und ein politisches "Erdbeben" in UK und Scotland vorläufig verhindert...

    Mr.Saif El Islam Gaddafi say: "behind the renewed friendship with UK lurked the presence of Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi, who was convicted in 2001 of the bombing of a Pan Am airliner above Lockerbie in December 1988, in which 270 people were killed.
    The Libyan authorities insist that he is the victim of a miscarriage of justice".

    Mr. Megrahi support the issue of a public inquiry:
    "In my view, it is unfair to the victim's families that this has not been heard before. It would help them to know the truth. The truth never dies". He added: "I would want to help Dr Swire and the others with the documents I hold".

    The Lockerbie-Case is not closed! Constantly Justice For Abdelbaset Al Megrahi and Libya!
    The U.S. Justice Department confirmed on August 27, 2009 that a criminal idictment remains open against Lockerbie Mr. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi and other unnamed Libyan conspirators.

    More informations including defence evidences on: www.lockerbie.ch

    by Edwin and Mahnaz Bollier, MEBO Ltd. Switzerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think perhaps it's further indication that the legal system in most countries has little to do with true justice. Prisoners who are looking for release, whatever the situation, are often made to accept guilt or relinquish an appeal even if the prisoner is actually not guilty. Plea deals and early release conditions often force an innocent person to accept guilt, only because it ultimately becomes the least painful option for someone facing a long prison term. I can't know if Megrahi is guilty, but I can understand why he would drop his appeal and accept guilt if it meant he was getting out of prison.

    ReplyDelete